Start a New Student Organization
UW-Eau Claire has nearly 275 student organizations on campus and the Student Senate encourages all students to follow their passion. If you have an idea for a student org and something similar doesn't already exist on campus, you can petition for recognition.
*Students can petition for new student org recognition or reactivate a student org during the fall semester of each academic year. Petitions will be accepted from September 1 - November 30th.
- Research the current list of student organizations to ensure you will not be creating a duplicate one.
- Complete the Petition for Forming a New Student Organization or the Petition for Reactivation if you are re-starting an organization that existed previously. *Please allow 6 weeks prior to the end of fall semester for processing/approval of all new student organization petitions and constitutions.
- Once your petition is submitted, your organization will be placed on provisional status for six weeks, during which time you will need to develop an organization constitution. Be sure to use the Model Constitution and the Constitution Requirements as guidelines for creation. Both are located under the Resources tab. Please submit your constitution via your BluSync portal. Click on the "Settings" tab (on the left had side of your screen) which will bring you to your organizations' profile information (constitutions are submitted on the second page.) You must be an administrator on your BluSync portal in order to access the profile information.
- Once your constitution is submitted, the Campus Affairs Commission will meet to review your organization's constitution. If revisions are needed, the Campus Affairs Commission Director will notify you via email.
- Once the constitution is approved by the Campus Affairs Commission , it is then recommended for approval by Student Senate. If Student Senate approves the constitution, you will be notified that your organization has been approved.
- Update the organization's BluSync "Org Profile" by October 31. The Org Profile is located under the Settings tab in your organization portal.
- You must have administrative access to the portal to update the Org Profile (previous administrators can provide new administrators with access OR see the following tutorial for assistance: https://help.orgsync.com/hc/en-us/articles/203702566-Adding-portal-administrators or to become an administrator: https://help.orgsync.com/hc/en-us/articles/203701446. If you are still having trouble, please contact the Activities, Involvement & Leadership Office should you need additional assistance in obtaining access.
- Send two members of the organization to the mandatory student organization workshop each fall.
- Update the organization's constitution* and upload to the BluSync Org Profile (ensure that it adheres to the most recent constitutional guidelines: Constitution Guidelines.)
- Visit with your faculty or staff adviser** and confirm that they will continue to serve as your adviser.
- The Campus Affairs Commission will review all renewal/profile updates for re-recognition approval.
*The organization's constitution must be updated and submitted annually or anytime changes are made.
**Student organizations must maintain an adviser who is a member of the University's faculty or staff.