Start/Renew an Organization
How to start (or re-start) a new student organization:
- Research the current list of student organizations to ensure you will not be creating a duplicate one.
- Complete the Petition for Forming a New Student Organization or the Petition for Reactivation if you are re-starting an organization that existed previously. *Please allow 6 weeks prior to the end of spring semester for processing/approval of all new student organization petitions and constitutions.
- Once your petition is submitted, your organization will be placed on provisional status for six weeks, during which time you will need to develop an organization constitution. Be sure to use the Model Constitution and the Constitution Requirements as guidelines for creation. Both are located under the Resources tab. Please submit your constitution via your OrgSync portal. Click on the "Settings" tab (on the left had side of your screen) which will bring you to your organizations' profile information (constitutions are submitted on the second page.) You must be an administrator on your OrgSync portal in order to access the profile information.
- Once your constitution is submitted, the Organizations Commission will meet to review your organization's constitution. If revisions are needed, the Organizations Commission Director will notify you via email.
- Once the constitution is approved by the Organizations Commission , it is then recommended for approval by Student Senate. If Student Senate approves the constitution, you will be notified that your organization has been approved.
- Update the organization's OrgSync "Org Profile" by the second week of October. The Org Profile is located under the Settings tab in your organization portal. You must have administrative access to the portal to update the Org Profile.
- Send two members of the organization to the mandatory student organization workshop in October.
- Update the organization's constitution* and upload to the OrgSync Org Profile.
- Visit with your faculty or staff advisor** and confirm that they will continue to serve as your advisor.
*The organization's constitution must be updated and submitted annually or anytime changes are made.
**Student organizations must maintain an advisor who is a member of the University's faculty or staff.